The Essendon Historical Society (EHS) has arranged for further digitisation of the Essendon Gazette from 23 August 1888 – December 1913. This project supplements the existing Essendon Gazette World War 1 digitization on Trove.
EHS considers the digitisation of past newspapers for publication on Trove as a priority.
The first edition of the Essendon Gazette was published on 23 August 1888 in a shop on the north side of Puckle Street, near the junction where the National Bank later stood. It was printed on a hand press and was owned by Mr. Rhys Jones.
In 1890, it was purchased by Mr. Melbourne Charnock Mott. On 7 August 1902, Mr. M. C. Mott and Mr. M. H. Murphy became joint publishers. In 1903 Mr. Sydney Arthur Charnock Mott joined as a partner. After Melbourne died in 1915, Sydney was the sole proprietor until the sale of the newspaper in 1923 to Mr. Thomas Ryan MLA. By 1926, The Essendon Gazette was owned by the Northern Newspapers Publishing Co. Pty Ltd operating from premises at 48 Puckle Street.
After 1912, the newspaper was renamed Essendon Gazette and Keilor, Bulla and Broadmeadows Reporter.
This project has been supported financially by the EHS John Williams Bequest, Moonee Valley City Council, and The Strathmore Community Bank Branch of Bendigo Bank.